Alberta Politics
Leonard Cohen at the Arena in Geneva, 27 October 2008

Leonard Cohen, poet, musician, 1934-2016

Posted on November 11, 2016, 12:11 am
14 secs

But you’ll be hearing from me, baby, long after I’m gone
I’ll be speaking to you sweetly
From my window in the Tower of Song

7 Comments to: Leonard Cohen, poet, musician, 1934-2016

1. anonymous

November 11th, 2016

“They locked up the man who wanted to rule the world.
    Fools, they locked up the wrong one.”

L. Cohen

2. TENET

November 11th, 2016

With Annie gone,
    whose eyes to compare
    with the morning sun?

Not that I did compare,
    But I do compare
    Now that she’s gone.

3. November 11th, 2016

“There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.”

4. Filostrato

November 11th, 2016

“Your eyes are soft with sorrow
    Hey, that’s no way to say goodbye…”

5. ronmac

November 11th, 2016

While I like the “tortured poet” personna as much as the next guy, do yourself a favor and grab a listen to “Famouus Blue Raincoat”, the duet album he did with Jennifer Warren in 1986.

Basically, they took a selection of Cohen songs, ran them through a cappachinno machine, resulting in one of the top selling albums of the year. Cohen (who always had a small, but dedicated fanbase) was transformed into an overnight pop sensation, heard on every disco floor from Manhattan to Berlin.

Party on!

• Filostrato

November 13th, 2016

That song and my youngpersonhood in Montreal coincided. The folkies all over the city were singing that song, as well as Suzanne. I’ve heard and read lots of his stuff since then but that was the introduction. That’s why it works for the “goodbye”, too.

6. David Grant

November 14th, 2016

The music I love is from the period 1968-1974. There were a lot of great songs in the period including “Suzanne”, “Bird On A Wire”, “Famous Blue Raincoat”, “Joan Of Arc”, and so much more. The musical diversity on these releases is really interesting. One song that is very appropriate is “Everybody Knows”, which has the line “Old Black Joe is still picking cotton”. This song was written about the AIDS in the 1980s but it works in almost every era, including this one with Emperor Orange.